Counter

Saturday 18 February 2012

Graveyard Grind (2012) review.







Review: 2.5 out of 5.







My next showcase of music is an underground artist called Igniite, with his mix-tape Graveyard Grind. It was released on the Datpiff website on the 27th January and has so far had quite a few plays ever since. He's fresh on the Grime scene and did a couple music videos you can actually view on his Igniite channel on Youtube. So what's my opinion? Not too bad, actually, but I feel it can be a little bit better.The artist did a lot of work to break through to people in any community about pain, struggle, hard work and happiness. However, I don't think it did enough to move everyone universally.

Good:

The mix-tape did have some parts that were adequate, like the Intro was sonically solid. I thought Igniite's tune was hot but I felt the start could of been more uplifting instead of slow and resolute. In this case, it's the set-up that started the whole part of the air play to a smooth start. "Grind Hard" feat. Young C wasn't too bad. The artist opposite Igniite has some hidden talent, which fell short only by his delivery. Apart from rocks, there is some tunes that speak for the ladies such as the track "She The Type", "My Strength" and "The Business". The last one was better out of all of the three and is well defined for its dreamy melody and finer content.

Bad:

Sadly, there was only a few tracks out of this mix-tape I believed was fine and saw past my judgement but I felt it didn't do enough to make a favourable clash on my I-Tunes library. Igniite promised, or at least attempted to reach to many age groups and barely crossed genders. The tape had a limited resource for content that spoke mainly about street credibility such as grinding, I am saying it's not right and I'm not trying to be a Good Samaritan. It's how you do it: sex, drugs, money and other illegal acts or negative stuff can be dealt with in another light and this was blatant.


Overall:

With a swell choice in selective range of music, cool swag and satisfactory list of guests such as Young C, J.A.Y and Jay Tee it was dampened by a concept that dries up fast. Sometimes it's okay to showboat but other times it can be too much. The statement Igniite made about the tape doesn't prove to me everyone can really connect with it. Graveyard Grind can only target Londoners who just hit puberty or those in their early to mid 20's. Igniite would do better in breaking out of the force bubble he trapped himself in than embracing it, especially in a niche genre as this.

- Written by Kbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment